Monday, August 8, 2011

Try out Chromium OS, simplified

I got Chromium OS, which is the open source version Google's very new, runs only on the internet, Chrome OS.    I ran around the internet finding files and resolving issues, now I will tell you, so you don't have to.


  1. Get VirtualBox.  Its free, and Open Source.  You might also try VMWare; you can get a trial, but I haven't, so I don't know what issues you might have.
  2. Get 7-Zip; you will need it, or something like it, to unzip the OS build.
  3. Get a nightly build of Chromium OS.  Hexxeh has them autobuilding.  I don't know who he is, but I find nothing bad about him, his builds worked, and its going into a virtual PC, so possible damage is small.  You can buy him a cup o joe, if you like, and if you have PayPal.
  4. Unzip that thing.
  5. Run VirtualBox, and set up a Linux/Ubuntu type VM.  Point the Hard disk to the file you downloaded and unzipped earlier.  Give the VM 1024M (i.e. 1G) of RAM.
  6. In the VM settings, on the System Page, on the Processor tab, check "Enable PAE/NX".  Chromium demands it.
  7. Run the VM.
  8. You should see a signin screen, asking for your Google ID.  Use your gmail.com address (if you have a not-gmail address, it likely won't work) and password.
  9. Now you are Chromium OSing.

No comments: